Is it a book? A tablet? A laptop? Or a computer? Well, it’s rather something entirely new – it’s Microsoft Surface Duo.
We already had a sneak peek of this device several months ago, as the Chief Product Officer of Microsoft, Panos Panay, has tweeted what Microsoft has been working on.
And now, more than just other details and the specifications the devices, those who have been patiently waiting for the device can already get ahold of it pretty soon.
The Microsoft Surface Duo
According to Panay, they did not set out to combine two existing devices – the tablet and the laptop. Rather, they had a vision of taking the best elements of each device to create something new. Thus, Surface Duo has been created.
“People’s eyes were opened to the idea that touch shouldn’t be just for tablets and phones. And the ability to get things done shouldn’t be limited to just when you were sitting in front of a traditional PC.”Panos Panay, Chief Product Officer of Microsoft
With two screens that you can hassle-free take wherever you go, Surface Duo brings together the Microsoft 365 and Android mobile apps into one device.
What the Device is Capable of?
Here are some of the many things you can do with Surface Duo as unveiled by Microsoft:
- Join a Microsoft Teams meeting and see participants on one screen while you present your PowerPoint slides on another.
- Open the Amazon Kindle app and read a book like a book.
- Position Surface Duo’s screen like a tent and watch video hands-free.
- Use Surface Duo in Compose mode to quickly respond to an email.
- Tilt it into portrait mode for a more immersive way to scroll through web pages or photos.
- Pair your Surface Duo with a supported Bluetooth controller to play games on Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or with Surface Earbuds.
- Easily take notes with the Surface Slim Pen which, however, is sold separately.
Microsoft Surface Duo Specs
Here are some of Surface Duo’s specifications as provided by Microsoft:
145.2 mm (H) x 186.9 mm (W) x 4.8 mm (T)
145.2 mm (H) x 93.3 mm (W) x 9.9 mm (T at hinge)
Microsoft’s Surface Duo weighs 250 grams.
Dual PixelSense™ Fusion Displays open:
8.1” AMOLED, 2700×1800 (3:2), 401 PPI
Single PixelSense™ Display:
5.6” AMOLED, 1800×1350 (4:3), 401 PPI
Corning® Gorilla® Glass
- Up to 15.5 hours of Local Video Playback
- Up to 10 days of Standby Time
- Up to 27 hours of Talk Time
Microsoft Surface Duo is equipped with 3577mAh (typical) dual battery
Battery charging using 18W in box power supply
Camera and Video Recording
Adaptive camera 11MP, f/2.0, 1.0 µm, PDAF and 84.0° diagonal FOV optimized with AI for front and rear
- Auto mode with low-light & HDR multi-frame photo capture and dynamic range scene detection
- Super resolution zoom, and super zoom up to 7x
- Portrait mode with adjustable depth control
- Panorama mode
- Burst mode
- 4K video recording at 30 fps and 60 fps
- 1080p video recording at 30 fps and 60 fps
- HEVC and H.264 video recording formats
- Gyro-based digital video stabilization
- Microsoft Teams and Skype video conferencing up to 1080p at 30fps
- High CRI LED Flash for both front and world facing photo and video scenarios
More About Microsoft Surface Duo
More information about the product has also been recently revealed through a thirty five (35) minutes long press briefing hosted by apparently by Microsoft Surface. Watch the video to learn more about Microsoft Surface Duo.
Microsoft Surface Duo Pricing and Availability
Microsoft Surface Duo has been available in the US for pre-order on August 12, 2020 for a price starting at $1399.
For More Tech News
Looking more news about tech, gaming, the internet, startups, and even photography?