It wouldn’t be surprising if many are already pretty much excited to close the last chapter of the year 2020 and to open the latest chapter of 2021. But before we prepare to jump into the possibilities that await for the next year, let us take a quick look back to the year that changed us all.
Facebook, one of the most well-know social media platform these days, hold countless of thoughts and memories which have been posted by its users over the year. Thus the platform has collected its top 2020 moments to share them to everyone before the year comes to an end.
“Our top moments of 2020 are sorted into six themes to offer context into the ways people shared and experienced them,” stated Facebook VP Product and Social Impact, Naomi Gleit. The six themes mentioned include Icons, Social Awakening, COVID-19, Global Politics, Environmental Causes, and Faith & Community.
“No matter where in the world you live, the shared experiences of 2020 brought us together, even while we were apart – and we hope our Year in Review will give you a glimpse into some of those moments.”– Naomi Gleit, VP Product and Social Impact, Facebook
Facebook Top Moments of 2020
Facebook’s Icons theme for its 2020 Year in Review is about the figures who left a lasting legacy around the world, commemorated by Facebook users.
- Kobe Bryant
- Kobe Bryant’s passing was this year’s most discussed moment on Facebook
- The US, Mexico and Philippines shared the most posts and photos celebrating his life
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was commemorated in more than 6 million posts in one day across Facebook and Instagram
- Facebook reported that many used the hashtag #restinpower
Facebook’s Social Awakening theme for its 2020 Year in Review is about the important issues that mattered to the global community.
- Black Lives Matter
- Conversations around Black Lives Matter tripled following George Floyd’s death
- It has an average of 7.5 million mentions on Facebook every day
- The Blackout Coalition
- The Blackout Coalition, a Facebook group supporting Black businesses, has 1.8 million members
- And according to Facebook, it is the No. 1 largest group among US users
Facebook’s COVID-19 theme for its 2020 Year in Review is about extraordinary circumstances wherein communities found ways to connect, learn and grow.
- Throughout March, more than 1.5 million Spaniards used #aplausosanitario in their posts
- And it was to express their gratitude for medical staff
- Facebook Live
- When lockdowns hit, Instagram and Facebook Live views doubled in Italy
- Meanwhile in the US, Facebook Live viewership jumped 50%. This is since many turned into fitness classes to connect with artists and more
Facebook’s Global Politics theme for its 2020 Year in Review is about making the voices of the people heard through their platform.
- Kamala Harris’ Vice Presidential selection
- Kamala Harris’ Vice Presidential selection announcement was the most mentioned moment in August
- It drew more than 10 million posts in one day
- Facebook and Instagram in the US
- Nearly all adults on Facebook and Instagram in the US saw access to our Voting Information Center
- As well as key facts about voting deadlines
Facebook’s Environmental Causes theme for its 2020 Year in Review is about the global community coming together to build a better world.
- Largest Facebook Fundraiser
- More than 1.3 million people globally contributed to the largest Facebook fundraiser of the year
- And more than $35 million has been raised
- The purpose of the said fundraiser was to provide relief for those affected by the Australian wildfires
- $87 Million Raised
- To date (December 7, 2020), more than 2.6 million people have contributed to Facebook Fundraisers
- And more than $87 million has been raised through Facebook Fundraisers this year
- These fundraisers were to combat climate change, promote ocean clean up, for animal protection efforts and more
Faith & Community
Facebook’s Faith & Community theme for its 2020 Year in Review is about the people who used the platform to to build and maintain community, even at a distance.
- Communities Rallied to Shop Local
- In the past 3 months, more than 47 million stories using the Support Small Business sticker were created on Instagram globally
- Group Video Calls on Messenger
- The holiday week of April 6 (Easter and Passover) was the biggest for group video calls on Messenger
- It was also the most popular week of Facebook Live broadcasts from spiritual Pages
Top Pop Culture Moments
Facebook has also released a curated top 10 Pop Culture Moments. This new list highlights the most fun, wild and lighter moments that brought a little bit of high spirits to this extremely crazy year.
The Pop Culture Moments that made it to their list are those that generated some of the highest levels of interaction across their apps. And these are the following:
- Michael Jordan’s “The Last Dance” documentary
- Dave Chappelle’s Netflix special
- Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion’s “WAP”
- Harry Styles – Golden song release
- Los Angeles Lakers win the 2020 NBA Championship
- Katy Perry announces her pregnancy via music video
- “Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion
- Shakira and Jennifer Lopez’s Super Bowl halftime performance
- Netflix’s “Tiger King”
- Andrea Bocelli’s Easter performance from Milan, Italy
For More TechNews